13 things to be safe when traveling
1. Make sure your cell phone is charged
2. Have in the car the car charger for your cell phone
3. Get directions online if you have not been there before
4. Have fluid levels checked in your vehicle before leaving town
5. Have a full tank of gas before getting on the highway
6. Take the confirmation number of your hotel reservations
7. Be sure someone knows when to expect a 'check in call' from you when you arrive at your destination.
7. Before getting out of the vehicle whether at a gas station or the hotel look around and see who is near you, if you are feeling uncomfortable there is a reason why. Pay attention to your instincts.
8. When checking in be careful to not allow strangers to see your room number at the hotel
9. When you arrive in the hotel room; check to see where the nearest exit is located or the nearest exit stairwell is located.
10. If you get pulled over only roll down your window far enough to hear what the officer is requesting and keep the doors locked.
11. When alone do not stop to help strangers, if you feel they need assistance call on the cell phone to the highway patrol with the stranded motorist's location.
12. Should someone approach you when you are coming out of a store or hotel asking for help, tell them you will be willing to go back into the store to get them help and then prompltly do so; do not let them detain you.
13. When heading back home call someone to let them know your expected time of arrival to your destination.
Having travel thousands of miles for work, often times by myself, I am amazed at chances I see women taking when traveling. To be safe a strong sense of caution is your best defense.
To read more Thursday Thirteen